How does your dog become infected?

Posted: 14th September 2018

Lungworm is a nasty parasite that can cause serious health problems in dogs and can be fatal if not treated in time.

Dogs become infected with (Angiostrongylus vasorum) through eating slugs and snails which may be carrying the larvae of the parasite. While some dogs will eat slugs and snails on purpose, the hidden danger arises from small slugs and snails, which can be accidentally swallowed when dogs are drinking from outdoor water bowls, eating grass, playing with toys left out in the garden, or rummaging through the undergrowth.

Experts recommend keeping outdoor toys and water/food bowls clear of slugs and snails to help reduce the chance of accidental ingestion of these common garden visitors.

How does your dog become infected?

Related Links

Find us

The Animal Hospital
Stinchcombe
Dursley
Gloucestershire
GL11 6AJ

Telephone: 01453 542092

Email: reception@valevets.co.uk

Main Opening Hours

Monday - Friday
8am - 8pm

Saturday
8.30am - 4.30pm

Out of Hours

Staff on the premises Tel: 01453 542092 - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year 24/7

At Vale Vets we have experienced staff on the premises around the clock every day of the year. This enables us to deal with surgical and medical emergencies that arise during the night, as well as continued monitoring and care of hospitalised and ill patients.